Wednesday, Oct. 9

Women's club water polo set to begin 2nd year

Sophomore Katie French saved the day for IU women water polo players by bringing back the women’s water polo club in 2009.

“It was a long process,” French said.

The previous women’s water polo club was turned into the current varsity team in 1998 in order to comply with Title IX standards, varsity water polo contact Doak Henry said.

To begin the process, French, club president and founder, had to first contact the Office of Student Organizations & Leadership Development to become registered as a club sport. This involved meetings, presentations and the writing of a constitution.

After all the formalities were taken care of, the IU Women’s Water Polo Club conducted its first practice in November 2009. The first season occurred in spring 2010 and consisted of four tournaments with other Big Ten club teams.    

Paige Keefe is a senior on the team who played water polo at her high school in Ohio. When she found out IU didn’t have a water polo club, it was a letdown.

“I was disappointed there wasn’t a club team when I was a freshman and sophomore,” Keefe said.

The club’s goal for the future is spreading the sport of water polo. None of the girls from last year’s team were from Indiana because most Indiana high schools don’t offer opportunities to participate in the sport.

Senior Amy Moore, who is also on the club team, has been playing water polo since she was 9 years old. After moving from California, the nation’s leader in water polo, finding no club team at IU was strange.

“It is starting to spread. Michigan is No. 2 behind California, so that’s getting it to the Midwest,” Moore said.

The 2010 team consisted of 12 girls with varying water polo experience.

“There were two girls on the team last year who hadn’t even played before,” French said.

While IU does have a women’s water polo varsity team, the water polo club allows beginners to join.

“It’s a learning thing. You’re not punished for not knowing something,” Moore said.

Even though it is a club rather than a varsity sport, the players are committed to the program.

“It’s more laid back than the varsity team, but we still take practices and tournaments seriously,” French said.

The team will be announcing a call-out meeting before winter break.