Sunday, Sept. 29

‘Art of Chocolate’ combines sweets with charity

AOC gallery

Jazz trumpet echoed to the high ceilings. Sweet and savory scents perfumed the air.
The Week of Chocolate started in high style at the IU Art Museum on Sunday. The building’s atrium was crowded with lovers of sweet treats for “The Art of Chocolate” event to benefit Options, a local Bloomington organization.

As attendees entered the revolving door of the museum, they were instantly greeted with sweet choices. Local bakeries and restaurants like Bloomingfoods and Scholars Inn Bakehouse displayed their most decadent creations for tasting.

Chocolate peanut butter truffles, bite-sized portions of tiramisu, chocolate tartlets and even chocolate paninis and drinks covered the surfaces of every chef’s table.

Sophomore Kyoko Yanagihara said the chocolate mousse was her favorite treat and that she came with friends to enjoy something they all shared a love for.

“This only happens once a year, and we all love chocolate, so we had to come,”
Yanagihara said.

Chocolate lovers stood at tall tables as they nibbled on their treats. However, Options, an agency that aids people with disabilities, also offered a feast for the eyes: a juried art show featuring local Bloomington artists. 

Artist works ranging in mediums from sculpture to painting neighbored the tables of food, providing patrons with something to ponder while they savored the sweetness.
Anna Witte, a supervisor in the Department of Spanish and Portuguese, was one of those artists with work on display. She said the pair of chocolate and art was a creative and harmonious one.

“It is my first time being here at the event, and it is great so far,” Witte said. “It is a wonderful idea to combine art with such a great cause like Options.”

Smooth sounds of jazz added to the harmony as they radiated from the landing in the atrium. The Mahuli/McCutcheon Jazz quintet added their serenade to the sweetness.
The second level of the atrium had a more surprising use for chocolate.

Bloomington resident Dan Alexander participated in the art show last year and was so inspired that he decided to bring new meaning to combining art and chocolate.

With a brush, some water and chocolate, Alexander painted a portrait of Miles Davis throughout the night. 

As he spread the dark brown color across the canvas, he spoke of his inspiration for his work.

“Black history month is coming up,” Alexander said. “The event has really decadent music and food to go with it.”