Sunday, Sept. 29

Bishop does it for the kids

Rhino's Benefit

The laughs started early Thursday as patrons of The Bishop prepared for a night of comedy and music.  

Claps of elation and shouts of enthusiasm that emerged from those in attendance marked the positive vibe of the energetic performances to come.

The Bishop sponsored “A Night of Music and Comedy to Benefit Rhino’s Youth Center” in an effort to raise money for the all-ages music club. Rhino’s has been in Bloomington since 1992. Its ongoing mission is to provide an engagement and entertainment center with a safe, alcohol- and drug-free environment.

Emcee and organizer for the evening Mat Alano Martin opened the evening underneath the Bishop’s blue stage lights. As he encouraged patrons to move toward the stage, they crossed the wood-paneled floor, eagerly awaiting his comedic lines.

Martin started his routine with a reminder to why the evening was being held: Rhino’s existence, its mission and, most importantly, the kids. He said the venue provides Bloomington youth with the unique opportunity to let their creativity grow.

After a brief monologue, Martin surrendered the stage to the first of five comedians to perform. Jon Hancuff was received with resounding ovations as he climbed on stage.  

This show was unique because it paired both music and comedy. The presence of comedians is exactly why first-year graduate student Ethan Stanislawski was drawn to the evening.

“The music and comedy is good here, and there is a sense of being in this together with the art folks,” he said.

Stanislawski, who has performed at the Comedy Attic himself, said he feels some aspect of camaraderie in comedy.  

Hancuff made the crowd laugh with stories of his children, camping and his own experience with Rhino’s.

“The first time I went to a show there, I got a boot in the face. But I’m still here!”
Hancuff said.

The crowd was full of energy as they laughed and jeered throughout Hancuff’s routine.
With the closure of his final jab, Hancuff welcomed to the stage the first musical act, Unravellers. Martin’s anticipation for the event was that the energy would only grow with each act.

“There are people here for comedy, but it will progress to more of the rock vibe because we’re here at The Bishop,” Martin said.

With a lineup consisting of groups like Applecore, The Hollows and Busman’s Holiday, the evening musically delivered. And with the arrival of each new comedian, the number of people crowding the narrow room only grew.

Thursday’s turnout marks a continuation in enthusiasm and support for this unique venue from the entire community.