Sunday, Sept. 29

Bishop to sponsor benefit for Rhino’s

The Hollows

Wednesday will be a night of new combinations: A venue will play host to a venue, musical acts will intertwine with comedy routines and the audience will be a mixed bag of entertainment lovers, Mat Martin said.

Martin, of Magnetic Bichon Presents, is the event organizer and emcee of “A Night of Music and Comedy to Benefit Rhino’s Youth Center,” set to take place 8 p.m. Wednesday at The Bishop.

The idea of mixing comedy and music came to Martin when he thought about the role Rhino’s plays in the Bloomington community. The youth center offers local teens a variety of free creative after-school activities, ranging from screen-printing workshops to radio tutorials and shows.

Martin first chose the comedic acts for the night and then requested that each comedian choose a band they would like to see to perform. The resulting list of performers is a unique one that Martin said he hopes will make the event more interesting than the average show.

“You always hope for the best, but we have a really diverse lineup of bands, from country to crazy rock ’n’ roll,” he said.

Martin said the organization of the event will alternate between comedians introducing their band of choice and musical acts playing a set.

Comedians to take the stage Wednesday include Ben Moore, Joshua Murphy, Jon Hancuff, Pete Schreiner and Casey Allegree. Their jokes will be coordinated with the musical performances of Busman’s Holiday, Mustache!, The Hollows and Unravelers.

Murphy, a junior at IU, selected The Hollows as his band for the night.

“I think they’re the best band in Bloomington right now,” Murphy said. “Their music gives this delicate, melancholy tinge of sepia to everything in life.”

As the show is a fundraiser, comedians and musicians will be donating their time.
This factor is one that the performers are enthusiastic about as they support the efforts
of Rhino’s.

Kate Long, vocalist of The Hollows, said she values the creativity that Rhino’s encourages. Comedian Jon Hancuff echoes her sentiments.

“I wish I would have had a place like Rhino’s where I grew up. Not every kid is into sports or school activities. Rhino’s provides those kids with an environment where they can pursue other interests,” Hancuff said. “Also, I was a huge music fan growing up, but there were no all-ages venues where I grew up. It’s a privilege that can’t be taken for granted.”

Fun and positive were Hancuff’s adjectives of choice for his expectations of the night, but whatever the adjectives used, Hancuff is excited about the event’s potential.

“I’ve been doing quite a few shows lately in rock clubs with bands on the bill and they all have been a lot of fun,” Hancuff said. “The rock crowds are usually really smart, and they enjoy it when performers push boundaries.”