Sunday, Sept. 29

Black Swans begin tour in Bloomington

Black Swans

When Jerry DeCicca was 17, he would drive from Columbus, Ohio to Bloomington all because of a girl. However, during the next decade DeCicca visited Bloomington for a different reason — his band, The Black Swans.

“I love Bloomington,” DeCicca, now 36, said. “There always seems to be something happening, and it’s a town all unto itself.”

The six-member band has previously played at Bear’s Place and The Bishop, but only two band members will return to The Bishop at 9 p.m. Saturday.

“Bloomington’s music scene really has that communal vibe,” guitarist Tyler Evans said.

Evans, a former banjo player for the band Super Desserts, will be accompanying DeCicca on the tour.

“It was really a logistical thing in that I was in a position in my life to drop everything and just hit the road,” Evans said. “The past two months we have toured the South, Texas and the East Coast.”

Evans, 22, is the youngest member and newest addition to The Black Swans. He said he appreciates the experience of the other members.

“I’ve never been one to turn down playing music, and since I’m used to playing in rock or indie-pop bands, I’ve learned a lot about other scenes through these guys,” Evans said.

The Black Swans have remained loyal to their “weird folk-rock” genre, as DeCicca labels it. From the band’s 2004 debut album “Who Will Walk in the Darkness with You?” to its 2010 release “Words Are Stupid” on Bloomington label St. Ives, the band’s sound has remained constant. However, Evans said the band plans to mix things up a bit with its next release, “Don’t Blame the Stars” in 2011.

“This one is a bit more up-tempo, and a lot is written in major keys,” Evans said. “Jerry (DeCicca) also has these spoken interludes which are narrative-like, and that’s probably what’s most distinguishable in the new direction.”

DeCicca said the album is special to the band because it features former band member Noel Sayre who passed away in 2008.

“Our album planned for April of this year will be the last record my friend ever played on,” DeCicca said.

The album’s theme will focus on placing faith in friendship and music instead of a higher power.

“It’s always nice when people are listening,” DeCicca said. “I continue to play because I love music, I love writing songs, and I continue to learn more and get better with every performance.”

The Black Swans are also looking forward to touring in Europe in the spring.

“We’re working with new people, and we have a label that has a wider distribution and that is really enthusiastic about promoting,” Evans said.

However, before the band goes overseas, they’ll complete one more tour in the U.S.
“We’re heading west,” DeCicca said. “Bloomington will be our first stop.”