Sunday, Sept. 29

Bogdanovich set to dedicate IU cinema

Renowned filmmaker Peter Bogdanovich will speak at the formal dedication of the new IU Cinema Thursday, although all but a select few will have to watch it on their televisions and computers.

The 4 p.m. ceremony will be attended by a variety of campus and community officials, including IU President Michael McRobbie, Provost and Executive Vice President Karen Hanson and Bloomington Mayor Mark Kruzan. The dedication of the nearly 260-seat, THX-certified theater comes two weeks after the cinema’s opening showing of “Lawrence of Arabia.”

During the event, McRobbie will present Bogdanovich, the Academy Award-nominated director of such landmark films as “The Last Picture Show” and “Paper Moon,” with an honorary degree recognizing his significant contributions not only to film but also to IU.

The Lilly Library houses the Bogdanovich collection, purchased in 1995 and containing more than 100,000 writings and films from 1885 to 1994. It includes scripts, production materials, artwork and stills from the director’s many films.

Also included are the personal papers of his parents, Yugoslavian immigrants who moved to New York and later to Arizona. Most notably, the collection has more than 300 color slides taken during the production of “The Last Picture Show,” which was filmed in black and white.

All tickets to the ceremony have been distributed, according to a press release. The event can, however, be viewed live on Indianapolis TV stations and at www.broadcast.iu.edu.

Although most students are excluded from the dedication, those wanting to listen to Bogdanovich in person will have the opportunity Friday. He is expected to discuss his cinema career 3 p.m. Jan. 28 at the cinema as part of the Jorgensen Guest Filmmaker Lecture Series.

He is also expected to introduce one or more of the John Ford films scheduled for the weekend.

— John Seasly