Wednesday, Oct. 9

Hoosier record-holder, NFL Draft pick WR Hardy is signed by Ravens

Wide receiver James Hardy, the all-time leader in receiving yards (2,740), touchdowns (36) and receptions (191) at IU, signed a future/reserve contract with the Baltimore Ravens Wednesday after being cut by the Buffalo Bills on Sept. 4.

He will not be eligible to play for the Ravens until next season and will miss the remainder of Baltimore’s postseason games this year.

The Bills originally drafted the 6-foot-5-inch wide receiver with the 41st pick in the second round of the 2008 NFL Draft. In two seasons with Buffalo, Hardy played in 16 games, caught 10 passes (nine in 2008 and one in 2009) for 96 yards and had two touchdowns.

In December 2008, Hardy tore his ACL in a game against the New York Jets, ending his rookie season.

Since being released by the Bills in September, Hardy has had workouts with the Cincinnati Bengals and Indianapolis Colts, but neither decided to sign him.

A multisport athlete, Hardy was originally recruited to play basketball for the Hoosiers. He was named to the AP All-State team in basketball and was a 4A All-State selection by the Indiana Football Coaches Association while at Elmhurst High School in Fort Wayne.

However, after averaging 1.7 points and 10.7 minutes per game in his freshman season, Hardy decided to dedicate himself to football following two seasons with the IU basketball team.

In the wide receiver’s final year at school, Hardy’s 16 touchdown receptions ranked second in the country and helped the Hoosiers reach the Insight Bowl — ending a 14-year bowl drought for the program.

— Avi Zaleon