Wednesday, Oct. 9

IU nearly pulls off UK upset, sweeps Butler

Men's Tennis vs. Kentucky

The No. 46 IU men’s tennis team split two home matches Tuesday, falling to No. 12 Kentucky 4-3 before sweeping Butler 7-0.

The Hoosiers were only a few points away from upsetting the Wildcats. With the teams tied at 3-3, IU freshman Dimitrije Tasic lost the deciding point for the Hoosiers, dropping a third-set tiebreaker 7-4 to Kentucky freshman Grant Roberts.

“It was pretty interesting (with) both teams trying to get behind their freshmen and help them close it out,” said IU sophomore Josh MacTaggart. “Unfortunately we couldn’t get
the win.”

MacTaggart and junior Stephen Vogl both picked up victories against ranked singles opponents from Kentucky. MacTaggart beat No. 39 Alex Musialek in a three sets and Vogl knocked off No. 72 Alberto Gonzalez 6-3, 7-5.

IU opened play by winning the doubles point and carried the lead through most of the match. Despite the loss, IU No. 1 singles player Jeremy Langer said the team will develop by facing a team like Kentucky.

“It was a great match right up until the end,” Langer said. “And what we can take from that is it’s a learning experience, just not to get tight at the end of the match, and next time we’ll be able to take it.”

IU coach Randy Bloemendaal said the Kentucky players’ experience in high-pressure matches may have given them an edge.

“Physically, I think we’re right there,” Bloemendaal said. “There’s no doubt in my mind. We were as good or better than them today. They’re the team that’s had more wins at that level, and late in the match, they executed a little bit better than us. My hat’s off to Kentucky, but that’s why they’re 12 in the country.”

The Hoosiers posted five straight-set wins against Butler in Tuesday’s second match. Langer played the only three-setter, beating the Bulldogs’ Brandon Bayliss 3-6, 6-1, 6-4.