Sunday, Sept. 29

Timothy Reed comes to Buskirk

Timothy Reed

One of the only things indie-rock, opera, comedy and classical piano have in common is Timothy Reed.

After transferring from Cleveland State, Reed attended Ohio University to continue his studies in music and liberal arts.

Reed moved in with his brother Dan Reed who, along with other members, made up the indie-rock pop band The Creatures.

“Our parents were divorced so it was a great time for us to kind of reconnect,” Reed said. “We were a mix between U2 and the Talking Heads and toured all over New England, but we broke up after we ran out of steam.”

However, the band’s break up would not be anywhere near the end of Reed’s career in
music.

After he graduated from Ohio, Reed would later pursue a degree at IU, focusing on opera.

“While I was in school, I started to lean more and more towards making my own music,” Reed said. “Eventually, performing my own music won out.”

Since that resolution, Reed has dabbled in composing and performing a genre that he claims is a “harmonious blend of classical, new age and pop.”

In addition to his career, Reed has also begun sharing his talent with others by teaching piano and voice.

This is how he came across Bloomington siblings Lauren, Lilly and Jenna Brown.

“My sisters and I had been fans of Tim’s brother’s a cappella group, Monkey Puzzle,” Lilly Brown said. “But my older sister Lauren and I met Tim when he started to give us piano lessons.”

Though the sisters were young when they first started lessons, Reed recognized their unique talent and in 2005, Lauren Brown and Reed wrote their first song together.
Reed and The Brown Sisters have been working together ever since.

“Their voices are flexible in that we are able to cover a lot of different genres,” Reed said.    

Lilly Brown, current student at Syracuse in New York, said she does not see herself pursuing a professional career in music.

However, she likes to keep her creative side active.

“The most rewarding part is being able to sing with my sisters,” Brown said. “Growing up, we’d break into harmony all the time, and since we’re on opposite sides of the country now, we rarely get to sing together.”

For their latest album, “Euphoric Owls,” Timothy Reed and company will have a CD release performance at 8 p.m. Saturday at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

“‘Euphoric Owls’ is a solo piano CD with voices but no lyrics,” Reed said. “I’ve described the voices as ethereal in that they soar really high as if into an ethereal realm.”

However, The Brown Sisters and Reed plan to play some pieces off of their upcoming album, “Carry Me,” which differs from their previous CD because it includes actual lyrics.

“In a concert, it is kind of nice to have a variety,” Reed said. “It gives a little something for everyone, and I’ve always had a hard time sticking with all of the same kind of music.”

Reed said the night will feature serious songs along with some comedic additives.

“One song is about this guy who falls in love with his telemarketer,” Brown said.

Along with Reed and The Brown Sisters, Dan Reed, Buff Brown, Ariel Simpson and Brian Allen will perform.

For each “Euphoric Owls” CD sold, $1 will be donated to the Monroe/Owen County Chapter of the American Red Cross.

“I enjoy just being able to sing and make all different kinds of music,” Reed said. “I hope everybody loves it.”