Wednesday, Oct. 9

Track season underway with Indiana Open

Men's Track vs. Purdue

The IU men’s and women’s track and field teams launch their new season with the Indiana Open on Saturday at Gladstein Fieldhouse.

The meet, which begins at 11 a.m., will pit the Hoosiers against a slew of independent competitors.

Ron Helmer, who is in his fourth year as IU’s track and field coach, will retain most of the team that he led in the 2010 season. He said he believes that although the meet on Saturday is important, it’s just another obstacle in pursuing a Big Ten title.

“Our program goal is to win a Big Ten title,” Helmer said. “I also feel we have a team that can compete in the National Championships as well, and (the Indiana Open) does not fit in the context of what we are trying to do as a whole moving forward.”

The squad is starting the new year with senior pole vaulter Vera Neuenswander. The 2009 NCAA outdoor runner-up in the pole vault is back this year after sitting out the 2010 season to complete her student teaching requirement.

“The time away allowed me to rebuild myself to be better this year,” Neuenswander said. “I practiced all year while teaching, hoping to get back and give Indiana the best name I can give it.”

Though some members of the 2009-2010 squads are back and ready to start the season, the squad will be without 2010 All-Americans and IU graduates, high jumper Ashley Rhoades, pole vaulter Jeff Coover and sprinter Molly Beckwith.