Sunday, Sept. 29

Actress, comedian to bring magic, jokes to Bloomington

Actress, comedian, writer and musician Charlyne Yi will bring her quirky comedy show to the Comedy Attic from Thursday through Saturday. She will have two showings each night at 8 p.m. and 10:30 p.m.

Yi has been seen in movies such as “Knocked up,” “Cloverfield” and “Semi-Pro.” Yi also wrote and starred in the film “Paper Heart” alongside actor Michael Cera. The film won the Waldo Salt Screenwriting Award at the 2009 Sundance Film Festival.

Through her films and stand-up, Yi is known for her idiosyncratic humor, and she performs stand-up magic, music and games as well as jokes at her shows.

“It’s refreshing to bring a different point of view of comedy,” Comedy Attic owner Jared Thompson said.

Aside from film and comedy, Yi is also active on the web. From her YouTube videos with SNL actor Fred Armisen to her many comedic music videos where she sings and dances, Yi has gained popularity among other comedians.

The off-the-wall humor Yi brings to online audiences is also brought to her shows.

“From what I understand talking to her and her agent, I don’t think she even knows what she’s doing on the night of the show. It’s kind of a surprise,” Thompson said.

It’s this sense of surprise that makes Yi different.

With fewer female comedians than male comedians in the comedy world, Thompson said the obstacles women face in other industries transcend to the comedy industry.

“Part of the issue for comedy clubs is just like in any other walk of life. There is an inherent sexist look in the community,” Thompson said.

Thompson also notes that when a woman proves herself on the road like any other comedian, she really has an advantage.

“I’m not quite sure if Yi has ever headlined a show, but I’m sure she will do a good job,” Thompson said.

Yi’s youth and different approach to comedy is what attracts people to her, which Thompson said attributes to her following.

“I look at this week as an opportunity for people to see another side of comedy,” Thompson said.