Sunday, Sept. 29

‘Extensions of Tradition’ to combine mix of music styles

Auer Hall will boom with gusto when organ music is combined with brass, saxophone and voice Sunday.

The “Extensions of Tradition” concert will take place 8 p.m. Sunday in Auer Hall.

Every year since 1993, the African American Arts Institute and Jacobs School of Music have worked together to put on the evening highlighting compositions from African-American composers.  

This year’s concert will offer something a bit different from previous performances.
Dr. Leo H. Davis Jr. will be the guest artist Sunday, showcasing his organ-playing prowess. Davis is an IU and Jacobs School alumnus, who studied organ.

Executive Director of the African American Arts Institute Charles E. Sykes recalled the coincidental convenience of Davis’ interest in performing at IU. He said the organist was visiting for the inauguration of the new organ in Auer Hall, and after talking with Sykes and Dean Gwyn Richards of the Jacobs School, Davis’ participation in “Extensions of Tradition” was confirmed.

The pieces performed at the event will not be reserved to typical organ music, Sykes said, and because of Davis’s musical breadth and his affinity for pieces ranging from Handel to gospel, the audience will experience a variety of musical genres.

Professor of music and voice Marietta Simpson is one of the artists who will perform with Davis. She said the concert shows the diversity of people who participate in the genre. Otis Murphy, associate professor of music as well as another performer for the evening, also agreed that the night warrants a unique mix.

“The concert shows what musicians have to offer that might not otherwise fit the mold of classical music,” Murphy said.

Murphy, who will perform a saxophone piece with Davis on the organ, also emphasized the fact that the concert is an evening for everyone to appreciate music, an idea that was echoed by Sykes. Every performance is designed to show students and the community music they haven’t heard before, Sykes said.

But above all, Sykes said he values the collaborative aspect of the concert.
“It allows people from different departments to work together and create something wonderful,” Sykes said.

This multidimensional musical and organizational characteristic is one that Simpson also sees as beneficial for those who attend Sunday night.

“There are a variety of colors that will be presented with the instrumentation that is performed, whether sax or brass or choral. But they will all maintain the high standard that this concert historically has,” Simpson said.