Sunday, Sept. 29

‘Fiddler’ musical to connect cultures at IU Auditorium

“Tradition, tradition!”
When spoken, these words can evoke many emotions, but tradition is one of the main themes in the musical “Fiddler on the Roof,” which will be performed 8 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday at the IU Auditorium.

“It is classic American musical theater literature,” said IU Head of Musical Theatre George Pinney. “It’s a landmark musical with an enchanting story and incredible score.”

Originally written and performed on Broadway in 1964, “Fiddler on the Roof” focuses on Tevye and his five daughters living in 1905 in Czarist Russia.

As Russia and its political climate changes, Tevye is forced to question again and again whether it is right to break religious and cultural tradition.

“You have two generations of people,” said Auditorium Events Manager Maria Talbert. “You have the older crowd like Tevye that follows the traditions without asking, and you have the younger crowd that exists between these two societies.”

This idea of change and culture is still relevant today, Pinney said.

“Change is going on in the world — look at Saudi Arabia. The play poses the question of being true to yourself, and that transfers to any period because it’s a human condition,” Pinney said.

At the heart of the play is love. As Tevye’s three oldest daughters fall in love, each one steps further and further away from tradition.

“The interesting thing about Tevye and his three daughters is how the play goes from Tevye’s tradition of having a matchmaker to romantic love,” Hillel Engagement Director Lance daSilva said.

This idea of a woman loving whoever she pleases is forward-thinking and liberal for the time setting of the play, Talbert said.

“A huge theme in this musical is the emergence of independence among women,”
Talbert said.

The musical is funny and happy, but it is set in a time and place where anti-Semitism, a main theme, was prevalent.

With the anti-Semitic attacks that happened on IU’s campus in the fall, it might seem to some as though the play is playing to Jewish stereotypes.

“I think this musical is positive whether there are anti-Semitic attacks or not,” daSilva said. “If you go see the play it shows that anti-Semitic acts have been happening for years.”

DaSilvia said the musical was very much a part his childhood. He said he thought of the play as the staple Jewish musical that every Jew had to see.

“I watched it multiple times and for me it’s one of those things every Jew should be acquainted with,” daSilva said.

“Fiddler on the Roof” is a musical that can not only relate to events in the news, but go beyond to connect cultures.

“This musical shows a time in history and it reveals a stronger understanding of different cultures,” Pinney said. “This musical hits very strong especially with what is going on around the world today.”