Sunday, Sept. 29

Jip Jop, Main Squeeze move Bluebird crowd

Jip Jop & Main Squeeze at Bluebird.

Bluebird Nightclub attendees were sweating and swaying together as music united the crowd. Fans danced so hard the floor trembled. At the Jip Jop and Main Squeeze concert Saturday, the music was nonstop.

The concert was different from typical concerts at the Bluebird because the show united both The Main Squeeze and Jip Jop as headliners.

“Tonight is an accumulation of the last three years in Bloomington,” Jip Jop lead singer Benny Gershman said. “The purpose of the night is to funk with the audience to get them to our level of funk where people can’t help but dance.”

The concert had both bands taking turns. One band would do a 40- to 45-minute set while the other would watch and listen.

Members of the two bands also shared the stage, such as Jip Jop trumpeter Ryan Imboden and Main Squeeze guitarist Max “Maxamillion” Newman. Both bands enjoyed the presence and accompaniment of IU adjunct lecturer and jazz guitarist Corey Christiansen.

Both played original music and famous covers, such as “Shout” by the Isley Brothers.
“I’ve noted the change of Bloomington’s appreciation to original music,” Main Squeeze lead singer Corey Frye said. “This crowd proves you can do original music and the audience will respond.”

Along with Saturday night’s festivities, The Main Squeeze also released its first album, “First Drops,” and promoted its upcoming album concert party, which is March 5 at the Bluebird.

Some audience members went exclusively for The Main Squeeze while others went for Jip Jop. The concert allowed fans of one band to be introduced to another.

“They really know how to work the crowd and keep them engaged,” audience member Angie Heger said.

As the crowds were singing and dancing, the celebration was also prevalent backstage among the musicians.

Many of them were happy with the night and the outcome of the crowd as toasts were made, and both bands said they would love to do another concert like the one Saturday.

Both bands have different goals for the future. Jip Jop members are moving to Chicago and hoping to start a Chicago following, Gershman said. Frye said Main Squeeze members are trying to play wherever they are and to play with each other for the rest of their lives.

Although both bands have a different sound and different goals, they have music as a common passion, which was shared with the audience.

“We all see so much potential in each other,” Jip Jop keyboarist Benjamin Bolasny said. “We just want to keep playing music.”