Sunday, Sept. 29

Chieftains bring taste of Ireland

The Chieftains

Just in time to prepare for the festivities of St. Patrick’s Day, Bloomington had a piece of Ireland at the IU Auditorium Tuesday night with the visit from the Celtic music group The Chieftains.

The concert featured songs from the group’s new album “San Patricio.”

On stage was a variety of performers, including new musicians and Chieftains’ founder Paddy Moloney.

The Chieftains play traditional Irish and Celtic music. With a plethora of cultures that have influenced Irish music, the concert showcased how varied Irish culture is.
Their latest album “San Patricio” was influenced by the history of the Mexican-American War, where many Irish immigrants deserted the American side to fight on the Mexican side of the war.

“This is music that is from the core,” said Kevin Konetzka, pipe major for South Indiana Pipe and Drums. “It hits the core of most people’s background. Many here are Celtic. In one form or another Irish music is a part of our culture, especially in Indiana. A lot of country music is based in Celtic music.”

During the opening act the familiar bluegrass and country sounds of the fiddle could be heard, as if reminding the audience of the historically Celtic roots of the fiddle.

“This music transcends to all cultures and ages because it’s
traditional music,” said Rex Bruce, president of the American Scotts. “It’s such a change from today’s music. A lot of people are opening their hearts to the sound, and for many it is a hereditary pride.”

The night also featured traditional Irish dancing. The upbeat rhythms and rhythmic dancing had people clapping their hands and wanting to get out of their seats to dance.

Along with the music and culture, the night was filled with community and laughter. Moloney welcomed the audience in Gaelic, which gave the audience permission to relax and enjoy the night.

The community was also involved, as performers of the South Indiana Pipe and Drums performed during the second act, giving the auditorium a different kind of buzz.

The people in the auditorium were filled with excitement and pride to see their family members on stage with The Chieftains.

“We have members playing for the pipe group, that is why we are here tonight,” IU Purdue University Indianapolis student Rosanne Gordon said. “I’m really proud of them. Plus I think the ensemble music they have is fun for all ages.”

The night united a community through music. Many of the people in the audience were cheering and tapping their feet, excited to see the dancers and hear the music.

“Celtic music is fun and heartfelt,” University of Evansville student Maia Miller said. “It transcends generations.”