Sunday, Sept. 29

Guide to eateries

Yogi's

Whether you have four years in Bloomington or just a few hours, the local dining scene will serve something for any food craving you have.

DATS
Got a craving for Cajun? Dats on South Grant Street is the place for good, cheap, home-style southern cooking. All the Creole favorites are there, including gumbo, jambalaya and bourbon chicken, and all come with their own buttery bread.

Their menu also has a rotating dish each day. Try the spinach and artichoke etouffee, which is a variation of the classic appetizer over a steamy bed of rice. Dats is open noon to 9 p.m. Monday to Sunday.

BUFFA LOUIE’S
Have a craving for wings and trying to figure out where to go? Head to the Sample Gates on Indiana Avenue, and you’ll see a Bloomington favorite across the street. Buffa Louie’s has been family owned since 1987 and offers 14 homemade sauces to go with either your bone-in or boneless Buffalo wings.

Besides wings, Buffa Louie’s also has salads, burgers and chicken sandwiches. Buffa Louie’s offers nightly specials and events, including live jazz. Buffa Louie’s employee Missy Geise says they have a wonderful atmosphere that focuses on community events. The restaurant is open from 10 a.m. to midnight Monday to Saturday and from noon to midnight on Sundays.

MOTHER BEAR’S PIZZA

Mother Bear’s was voted best pizza in the Indiana Daily Student’s Best of Bloomington poll from 2005 to 2010. It offers a wide variety of crusts, cheeses, sauces and toppings to create a heavenly pie. Some standards include The Cosmo, which has a creamy vodka sauce base, and the Treasure of Monte Cristo, which combines alfredo, spinach, bacon, tomatoes and fontina cheese for a good-as-gold experience.

Mother Bear’s employee Nick Spanburg says many of his co-workers are IU students. Mother Bear’s is located near Read Center dormitories and is open 11 a.m. to 1 a.m. Sunday to Wednesday and 11 a.m. to 3 a.m. Thursday to Saturday.

ANATOLIA
For those wanting an ethic cuisine experience, Anatolia offers both Mediterranean and Turkish meals including kebabs, Moussaka and Shawerma. Anatolia specializes in creating pides, which are Turkish-style oval shaped pizzas with a crust similar to pita.

Anatolia is vegetarian and vegan-friendly, and many dishes have a slight hint of mint to them. To end the meal, you receive a small glass of minty Turkish tea, which blends well with some homemade baklava. Anatolia is open from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday to Sunday.

COLLINS CENTER DINING HALL

The Edmondson Dining Room at Collins Center is known as the most vegetarian/veganfriendly spot on campus. It offers a buffet-style meal to students that has a variety of cafeteria-style food including healthy, vegetarian and vegan options.

It also offers a salad bar, homemade desserts and a full breakfast buffet from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sundays. The Edmonson Dining Room is open from 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday to Friday for brunch and from 5 to 7 p.m. Monday to Thursday for dinner.

YOGI’S GRILL AND BAR
Yogi’s, located at the intersection of 10th Street and Indiana Avenue, offers a variety of pub grub for anyone wanting to watch a game on 32 HD televisions. Yogi’s food includes lean bison burger and succulent pork tenderloin with mashed potatoes and gravy.

Yogi’s offers a variety of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, including 40 beers on draft from across the country. Yogi’s is open 11 a.m. to 1 a.m. Monday to Thursday, 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. Friday to Saturday and noon to 1 a.m. Sundays.

BEAR’S PLACE

Located on 10th Street near the Jacobs School of Music, Bear’s offers soups, salads and burgers. Bear’s accepts campus access, making it a great place for students who don’t have cash. Employee Logan Neumann says students love Bear’s lunch specials.

Bear’s Place also offers nightly entertainment for the 21-andup crowd and is open 11 a.m. to 1 a.m. Monday to Friday and noon to 1 a.m. Saturday and Sunday.