Sunday, Sept. 29

Schrader to give lecture

To Paul Schrader’s devout parents, films were a “worldly amusement” forbidden by the Calvinist Church.

It wasn’t until age 17 in 1961 that Schrader disobeyed his parents and saw his first film, “The Absent-Minded Professor” — harmless fluff, but for the teenaged Schrader, taboo.

Thankfully for film buffs, that taboo would become his passion and career.

And today, almost a half century later, the critic-turned-director and screenwriter will visit IU.

At 7 p.m. at the IU Cinema, Schrader, 64, will introduce the digital restoration of Martin Scorsese’s “Taxi Driver,” one of Schrader’s earliest and most canonical screenplays.

Written by Schrader in barely more than two weeks, the 1976 film was a labor of love for all involved, made on a shoestring budget of less than $2 million and untainted by studio control.

Robert De Niro imbues cabdriver Travis Bickle with a manic ferocity, and the result is one of the most powerful performances in cinema history.

Bickle is consumed by the question “Should I exist?” and his increasing frustration leads to an explosive climax of violence and rage.

The film also marks the Academy Award-nominated screen debut of Jodie Foster, then only 12 years old, as the preteen prostitute Iris.

The IU Cinema screening is sold out, but those without tickets can wait in the cinema lobby up to 30 minutes before the show for available seats.

In addition, Schrader will give a free lecture at 3 p.m. Friday at the IU Cinema. No tickets are required for the lecture.