Saturday, Sept. 28

You Should Know: Ladies First

This is no joke, IU a cappella group Ladies First will take over the Buskirk-Chumley Theater for its spring performance.
At 8 p.m. Friday, the ladies will present a fresh repertoire of artists, including Cee Lo Green and Betty Everrett.  The group will also include favorite selections from past performances.
Student admission is $7 with an ID. General admission is $10

Just the Facts
:
—IU’s official female a cappella group is composed of 13 female students. Natalie Perkins and Sarah Gibson founded Ladies First in 1999.

—Junior Abby Kunkel said auditioning for the group is a tough process and many do not succeed in the first attempt.
Kunkel auditioned twice before she made it into the group.

—Ladies First performs one or two times per week, locally and in the Indianapolis area. Members rehearse three days out of the week, totaling nine hours each week.

—In 2009, Ladies First released a CD titled “Where My Pitches At?” Although unsigned, the group has released several albums.

—Within the group, two members have leadership positions as musical director and business manager.
Junior Rachel Cerrone takes care of all music, while Ashley Toole schedules shows, rehearsals and works with merchandising.

Straight from the source: Abby Kunkel

—“The second someone gets in, she’s instantly everyone’s best friend. We are kind of like a mini sorority.”

—“We arrange our own music. There are no writers or supervisors. We have our own stuff.”

—Kelsey Holder