Tuesday, Oct. 8

Back on track: Turner hoping for redemption in outdoor season

Men's NCAA Cross Country Championships

This weekend, there will be more than bicycle races in Bloomington.

During the World’s Greatest College Weekend, three teams will join the Hoosiers on the track as the IU men’s and women’s track and field teams become host to the
Indiana Invitational.

Just as Schwinn tires will be thundering down the Bill Armstrong Stadium cinder track, IU junior distance runner De’Sean Turner will be doing the same at the Robert C. Haugh Track & Field Complex.

Turner has already proven himself a winner.

Last season, Turner was named an All-American and is on pace to do so again this season. At the Big Ten Championships last season, he won the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a time of 8:43.72. The win advanced him to the NCAA East Preliminary Round, where he took fourth place with a time of 8:43.44. At the NCAA Championships, however, Turner finished in 12th place.

This year for Turner is all about focus and determination to perform to his ability.
“De’Sean was the Big Ten Champion in the steeplechase last year and up until the finals of the National Championship, appeared to be one of the top four,” IU coach Ron Helmer said. “He just didn’t handle the finals well.”

After last year’s national championship performance, Turner said he knew he needed to do more to prepare for this outdoor season. Therefore, he redshirted this year and spent January and February training rather than competing in the indoor season. Having the extra time to focus on practice, Turner said he hopes to be better conditioned both physically and mentally.

“At Stanford, I went to the meet having been there before, so my nerves weren’t jolting like last year,” Turner said. “This year I could focus on dropping my time ... and I ran a nice (personal record).”

Turner said he hopes the remainder of the season will be like Stanford, his nerves calmed, so he can run a personal record and win meets.

Helmer said he believes Turner’s training has given him the confidence to stay relaxed and focused to run his best every time.

“Great athletes are always going to be nervous because they hold themselves to a high standard,” Helmer said. “It’s a matter of accepting what you’re able to do and trusting what you’re able to do.”

Last weekend in the Border Battle for “Kentuckiana,” he took second in the 3,000-meter steeplechase. His finish was nearly six seconds behind last year’s national champion, Louisville’s Matt Hughes. It was Turner’s second race of the day, while Hughes ran fresh.

Helmer said that if Turner were fresh, the time difference may have been smaller.
Turner said he is mentally ready.

His main goal is to go into each meet and hit a personal record. Thus far, Turner seems to be right on track to get back to Nationals.

“Sometimes I hold myself to higher expectations than I can actually perform, so I would like to actually live up to those expectations,” Turner said.