Tuesday, Oct. 8

Bailey thriving in first outdoor season

Throughout the 2011 outdoor track and field season, meet locations change and atmospheres are different.

However, the scoreboard is the same for sophomore runner Aireonna Bailey. Every week, her name appears in bright lights, shining alongside a personal record.

As a freshman on the track and field team, she was coached in consistency and how to perform every day at a high level. When Bailey was recruited, IU coach Ron Helmer saw her potential to be a great athlete who could put up strong numbers. Now that Bailey is in her sophomore season and first outdoor season, Helmer said she has learned how to perform consistently.

“We knew there was potential for her to put these marks on the board, but she is really coming on and (her effort and consistency) is there,” Helmer said.

April 21-23 at the Polytan Invitational, Bailey continued to perform at a high level. Amidst the poor weather conditions, she was in third place of the Women’s 100m after
95 meters.

“I was definitely fighting for the final spots,” Bailey said. “I’m a fighter and a competitor, so I do not like being beat.”

After fighting for the final five meters, Bailey crossed the finish line first in a time of 11.93 seconds. Her new personal record is only .1 seconds off the top-ten fastest times at IU.

“Winning the 100 was outstanding because the field she beat included some solid, legitimate sprinters,” Helmer said.

Bailey continues to set personal records every weekend. According to Helmer, she has come a long way since the beginning of last season due to her preparation, hard work and effort each day in practice.

Recently, Bailey added a new workout with Helmer. In practice, she focuses on being a 400m runner, which is something she had not done in her career. She credited her achievements thus far to the new workout.

“I like (the new workout) better because I know it is making me faster,” Bailey said.  
In three weeks, the Hoosiers will travel to Iowa City, Iowa, for the Big Ten  Championships. Bailey hopes to continue her improvement and set new records. She said she believes her growth will allow her to score in the Big Ten meet and move into the NCAA East Regional, which will be in Bloomington beginning May 26.

As for this weekend, Bailey will be among the Hoosiers competing in the coveted Penn Relays in Philadelphia. If the weather is nice, Helmer said there could be more than 60,000 spectators in the stands. Bailey said she hopes to stay focused in the events she competes in, or possibly even win.