Saturday, Sept. 28

Baldwin shares sexual knowledge

Kathleen Baldwin’s session, “The Art of the Orgasm, Yours and Mine,” was Tuesday at The Venue Fine Art & Gifts.

Baldwin talked about several topics related to the misconceptions surrounding male and female orgasm as well as the stereotypes of sexual relations in general, discussing aspects such as men and women’s expectations, the effect of the porn industry on sex and the negative connotations sex has.

Baldwin began the session by giving audience members a sheet of paper with questions related to common feelings toward orgasms. After hearing some responses, she began to talk about the mixed messages that constantly surround sex, such as the concept of performance.

“The idea of performance is so big that we don’t pay attention to the sensual experience one can have during sex,” Baldwin said. “There is a whole body full of erogenous zones that we’re ignoring.”

Another topic that was heavily discussed was the effect of the pornography industry in sex. Baldwin explained how men and women have preconceived misconceptions on how sex has to be, and these act as an impediment for orgasm.

One of the examples she used was that a male ejaculation and an orgasm were not the same thing, and they are commonly used interchangeably.

“There are negative aspects about sexuality in society,” she said. “When kids are given sex education, it tends to be fear-based, portraying sex as a dangerous activity both emotionally and physically.”

The general idea of the orgasm is also somewhat inaccurate, according to Baldwin. It was mentioned during the session how orgasm tends to be portrayed as a linear model; it is the end and culmination of sex. Nevertheless, Baldwin talked about cyclic models of orgasm that she said are more accurate, in which an orgasm is not seen as the end but as part of what a sexual relation is.

“We are capable of having wonderful interactions without having an orgasm, but that doesn’t mean we should not try to have one,” Baldwin said.

Several of the audience members found the session enjoyable and informative.

“I took a human sexuality course,” attendee and junior Ashley Scott said. “Ever since, I have been trying to get more information on the subject.”