Saturday, Sept. 28

Bazaar brings new Lotus

If you have ever wanted to sample tapas and desserts from Bloomington’s finest dining establishments, catch a flea circus performance, learn nightclub dance moves and have your tarot cards read, then Friday is your night.

This Friday more than 25 Bloomington restaurants will gather to help celebrate Edible Lotus Night Bazaar, an annual fundraiser on behalf of The Lotus Education and Arts Foundation.

This year’s fundraiser marks a departure from previous Edible Lotus events.  While past fundraisers took a more formal, exclusive air with an invitation-only sit-down dinner, this year’s event welcomes the general public for the first time.

“We tossed that old model right up into the air,” said Deborah Klein, director of development for The Lotus Education and Arts Foundation. “We’re moving from a more mature event to being a more fun, playful, party-like event.”

It’s an event, Klein said, that will feature an array of entertainment experiences, from henna painting to live jazz music, as well as a diverse assortment of culinary experiences.

Klein said that this sensory, experiential approach is more in keeping with the spirit of Lotus. According to their website, Lotus’ mission is to “create opportunities to experience, celebrate and explore the diversity of the world’s cultures in music and the arts.”

The Edible Lotus Night Bazaar kicks off at 6 p.m. at KRC Banquets & Catering. Ticket prices start at $50.  All proceeds from this event support the program and mission of The Lotus Education & Arts Foundation. To learn more, visit www.lotusfest.org.