Tuesday, Oct. 8

Gruter leads team into final home match

The IU men’s tennis team will play host to No. 72 Northwestern at 2 p.m. Friday before playing at No. 32 Louisville at 2 p.m. Sunday.

Friday’s match will be IU’s final home match and senior day for Santiago Gruter, the lone senior for the No. 23 Hoosiers (20-4, 7-0). Gruter, who will leave as the school’s record holder for career doubles victories, said he wants his last match in Bloomington to be a victory.

“I have been thinking about it but it hasn’t quite sunk in, the last match at home,” Gruter said. “It’s been a great four years for me, and I’d definitely like to get a win on Friday.”
IU coach Randy Bloemendaal said the team wouldn’t be on its current 11-match winning streak without Gruter’s presence the last four years.

“He’s meant a lot to the program,” Bloemendaal said. “I think if you look at what Santi’s done and how he’s progressed, I think the program’s progressed in a similar way. He’s a big reason why we’re here and why we’re on this streak that we’re on.”

In Sunday’s match, Louisville (12-11) will be led by No. 14 Austen Childs. The Cardinals have won the past four matches against IU.

“Louisville is a quality opponent so it’s going to be another big challenge for us,” Bloemendaal said. “I think it’s a match that our guys are looking forward to.”