Tuesday, Oct. 8

Hoosierland takes bragging rights from Commonwealth

The Indiana track and field squad joined forces with Notre Dame to defeat Kentucky and Louisville Saturday afternoon in the annual Border Battle for "Kentuckiana."

The men’s squad won 104-96 , while the IU women edged out the Commonwealth State 103-96.

IU runners Ben Hubers, Andrew Poore  and De’Sean Turner  swept the top three spots of the 1,500-meter run, with Hubers recording the winning time of 3:47.15 . Turner and Poore took second and third in the 3,000-meter steeplechase later in the afternoon.

“It was windy, and we knew we wouldn’t have the best times, but it was the best steeplechase (Turner) has ever run off a double,” Coach Ron Helmer said.

The women were led by another dominating performance from senior thrower Faith Sherrill.  She moved into the nations top-three with a throw of 17.49 meters. 

Hoosier pole vaulters Vera Neuenswander  and Kelsie Ahbe  i nished i rst and second, respectively, in their competition . Neuenswander’s jump of 4.25 meters  not only beat
out her opponents , but also put her into the nation’s top 10 .

Fabrina Espinoza’s 11.96-meter jump won the triple-jump event. Not only did she win, but she also carved her name into the ninth spot in the IU record books. Emma Kimoto cleared 1.73 meters to secure first place in the high jump.

Coach Helmer said that it will be important for the “second-level athletes” to continue to get better as the season progresses, however he likes where the team is at to this point.

“Early in the season, we’re never perfect and it’s never exactly what you want because people are at very different stages, but all in all, (the meet) went well,” Helmer said.
IU returns for the first outdoor home meet this coming weekend.  The Indiana Invitational will field a matchup with Indiana State, Michigan State and Missouri.