Saturday, Sept. 28

IU Cinema premieres first student-made production

Nathan and the Luthier

The line outside the IU Cinema stretched around the corner. The premiere of “Nathan and the Luthier,” the first feature-length student film to be premiered at the cinema, would play to a packed house.

As senior Brian Myers waited in line for tickets, he said he was drawn to this film because of its production story. Myers is a senior in the telecommunications department and had seen posters for the premiere around campus.

“In normal class, you don’t get to make a feature length film,” Myers said.

Senior Jacob Sherry, the film’s writer, director and producer, didn’t do this for a normal class. Sherry, along with cinematographer Ed Wu, co-producers Sam Gurnick and Jon Stante and a crew made up of other IU students and Bloomington locals created the film here. The project also served as Sherry’s individualized major final project.

As he waited in line, communication and culture associate instructor Matt Guschwan said he’d taught both Sherry and Wu in previous semesters. He showed the trailer in class and wanted to see the finished product for himself.

“I’m blown away and impressed by the production values from the snippet I’ve seen,” Guschwan said.

The film stars local actor Jeff Grafton as Nathan, an aimless middle-aged man who returns home after his father’s death. Nathan deals with the sadness of his mother, played by local actress Kate Braun, and looks for a violin-maker to repair the broken instrument from his childhood. Local actor David Wierhake plays the role of Luthier.

In opening remarks, IU Cinema Director Jon Vickers said this film would open doors for future student screenings at the venue.

“They’re going to be treated just like any other filmmakers we bring to the cinema,” Vickers said.

A question and answer session followed the premiere. Sherry, Wu, Gurnick, Stante, Grafton and sound designer and Score Director Joseph Toth fielded audience questions on casting, production and score development.

After seeing the finished product, Myers said he was struck by the film’s quality.

“For a student production, it was incredible,” Myers said. “It definitely raised the bar.”