Saturday, Sept. 28

Spring events in Bloomington

As comedian Robin Williams once put it, “Spring is nature’s way of saying, ‘Let’s party!’”
As the temperature rises and a green blush creeps over the earth, join the celebration and check out some of the spring arts and community events that are happening here in Bloomington.

Bloomington Community Farmers’ Market
Saturday
401 N. Morton St.
To kick things off, Bloomington welcomes back its Farmers’ Market, where visitors can purchase seasonal, locally grown produce and enjoy live music and entertainment every Saturday morning from mid-spring until
mid-fall.
(Source: www.bloomington.in.gov/farmersmarket)

“Vincent” World Premiere
8 p.m. April 8
Musical Arts Center, 101 N. Jordan Ave.
Famous for paintings that celebrate spring such as “Irises” and “Flowering Orchards,” Vincent Van Gogh now debuts as the subject of “Vincent,” a first-time collaboration between IU Opera, liberettist J. D. McClatchy and Pulitzer Prize-winning composer Bernard Rands. (Source: www.music.indiana.edu/operaballet)

Spring Planting
April 9, time and location TBA
The Bloomington Community Orchard’s mission is “to enrich communities through the experience of growing and sharing fruit.” Participate in the planting process in the morning, and then stick around for the potluck and musical celebration that follows.
(Source: www.bloomingtoncommunityorchard.org)

Don Freund’s “Romeo and Juliet”
2 p.m. April 10
Monroe Country Public Library Auditorium, 303 E. Kirkwood Ave.
You’ve seen “Romeo and Juliet,” but have you seen it sung? Twelve Jacobs School of Music students will perform this classic piece of Shakespeare with a musical twist. Go ahead: Indulge your inner romantic this season with the stage’s most famous story of budding love. (Source: www.indianapublicmedia.org/arts/romeo-juliet-shakepearian-music-drama)

National Record Store Day

April 16
Landlocked Music, 202 N. Walnut Ave.
Tracks, 415 E. Kirkwood Ave.
TD’s CDs and LPs, 322 E. Kirkwood Ave.
Every April, independent record stores across the country fling their doors open for special musical performances, promotions and even parades.  Bloomington’s own Landlocked Music, TD’s CDs and LPs and Tracks join the party to support independent record stores.
(Source: www.recordstoreday.com)

Violapalooza!
7:30 p.m. April 30
St. Mark’s United Methodist Church, 100 N. State Road
The Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra and the Bloomington Symphony Orchestra team up for the final concert of the season and will feature viola performances in works by honored composers such as Mozart and von Weber.
(Source: www.bloomingtonsymphony.com)