Tuesday, Oct. 8

Teter takes second straight Little 500

When Caitlin Van Kooten crossed the finish line, she wasn’t going at race speed. She wasn’t worried about who was on her back wheel. It didn’t even matter if she slowed down 30 yards before the finish line to throw her hands in the air and scream.

Teter won the race with 50 laps remaining in the 100-lap race when the team lapped the field.

Teter won the Little 500 for the second straight year.

For the first 50 laps, the race had been between Teter and Delta Gamma, which finished third in last year’s race.

DG took the pole at Qualifications and started in first position. Teter and DG both avoided the major crash that happened less than 10 laps into the race.

At that point in the race, a pack of about 19 riders were rounding turn three when a collision of handle bars caused a domino effect on the field. The worst affected rider was Alpha Gamma Delta’s Mindi Balchan. AGD finished second in the 2010 race.

Three yellow flags waved before any team rode their 25th lap.

After Teter lapped the field, the race remained between DG and Pi Beta Phi, which qualified seventh. DG lead for a majority of the race, but Pi Phi’s Caroline Brown pulled ahead with less than 20 laps remaining. DG’s Kelsey Kent could never make up the ground between her and the two other senior riders of Teter and Pi Phi.

The victory is Teter’s third Little 500 title. Teter’s Caitlin Van Kooten won the Miss-N-Out, ITTs and Team Pursuit, the Little 500 Spring Series Events.

Unofficial race results: http://www.idsnews.com/blogs/hoosierhype/?p=15435