Saturday, Sept. 28

‘Vincent’ paints portrait of van Gogh’s genius

Vincent

The world premiere of “Vincent,” an opera on the life of Vincent van Gogh, will debut 8 p.m. Friday at the Musical Arts Center.

The Jacobs School of Music commissioned Pulitzer Prize-winning composer Bernard Rands and librettist J.D. McClatchy to create the opera for the department’s 100th anniversary. IU Opera Theater is currently in its 62nd year of production.

Based on the complex character of Dutch-born painter Vincent van Gogh, the opera will follow his journey as a religious fanatic, alcoholic and epileptic. However, despite his haunting madness, the opera will also celebrate his success as an artist. There will be electronic images of van Gogh’s drawings, sketches, letters and paintings in the midst of the musical performances.

Tickets may be purchased at the MAC box office or online through Ticketmaster. Cost is $25 for the general public and $12 for students.  

Additional performances will be April 9, 15 and 16, with the first two performances available for live stream at www.music.indiana.edu/iumusiclive.

Christopher Burchett and David Moore will share the lead role of van Gogh. Jacobs School students and staff have been rehearsing since late February.

“It’s a new piece, so it requires a little more musical preparation, and it’s double cast, which makes it a pretty long rehearsal period,” said Burchett, an IU alumnus and a professional classical singer for 18 years. “Most rehearsal periods, if it’s a regional opera, will be two weeks of staging, a week of tech and a week of runs. This was twice that.”

Burchett said the role of van Gogh is musically, physically and dramatically demanding. Double-casting the role allows Burchett and Moore to alternate performances.

“It’s hard to do just about any sizeable role back-to-back,” Burchett said. “I knew that this role would be a challenge. I’m offstage for three minutes of the entire show.”

Burchett said he was impressed by the talent and professionalism of the student performers, despite the complexities of the opera.

“They’ve been so good about being prepared with difficult music,” he said. “What they give me, which is a lot, really is what makes the show go.”

Burchett also urged those who may be leery of opera to attend.

“Opera has evolved. A long time has passed since you’d see some fat soprano standing in place singing,” Burchett said. “(‘Vincent’) is a musical drama. If you want to see that, you need to come to this show.”