Sunday, Oct. 6

What Happens in Libya Should not Stay in Libya

You may ask yourself, what’s big this week? You can also ask me, if you know what’s good for you.

Last week we were reminded of our community’s compassion in a time of great sadness.

This week we should remember our responsibility not just to our neighbors, but our families across the world.

That responsibility starts with listening to the wind and spreading the word. To get a head start, here is some good news.

Tell your friends.

Smashing many pessimistic predictions, the stalemate in Libya has cracked after less than two months, and the rebel forces are on the move toward Tripoli and the seat of power.

The North Atlantic Treaty Organization strikes and Gaddafi‘s bombardments that have cast the past two months of fighting in gloom seemed like an endless game of battleship.

But while the Colonel’s tanks clumsily pounded civilian homes,  fiercely accurate bombing by NATO forces picked away at the loyal war machine.

NATO continues to avoid civilian casualties while weakening the dictatorship and inspiring defections from the ruling party’s command line.

Less than 10 loyal generals continue to command.

Dictator and life size Play-Doh sculpture, Muammar Gaddafi, retains control of the country’s capital, Tripoli, but hiding behind his people won’t be an option for as long as civilians evacuate and downtown brawls are being reported on Twitter.

The Rebel Forces are moving west and starting to surround the old regime.

When we think of Libya, it is important not to generalize or assume based on our limited understanding of eastern politics.

When we think something is old hat, we tend to allow ourselves to forget it.

But Libya is not Afghanistan, it is not Yemen, Iraq, Syria or even Egypt.

This struggle has a unique identity that should be appreciated by every human on this planet.

It is the beginning of an exchange of power similar to that of our own American Revolution, but with modern morality and the power of the Internet.

While the Rebel Forces have no leading figure and little fighting experience, they make up for it with a desire for freedom and self-governance they are willing to die for. If they had a leader, they might be like Cuba.

Nearly 60 years ago, Cubans overthrew their leader under the leadership of Fidel Castro, a socialist that promised prosperity and freedom.

But as Che Guevara once wrote, “Cruel leaders are replaced only to have new leaders
turn cruel.”

Long ago, Libya also required a strong core of leadership for political change.

It is why Gaddafi has been Libya’s president for 41 years.

A cruel reign is again being challenged, but this time not by a popular sociopath, a snappy dresser or a well armed militant.

It is being challenged by all capable citizens connected in their desire for freedom, their bravery and their ability to negotiate.

Libya is similar to Egypt as a true social revolution, but the soon to be titled war criminal Muammar Gaddafi has required his people to take up arms to earn their freedom, unlike the peaceful end to the Mubarak regime.

With the help of NATO and the peace loving nations of the world, the Libyan rebels may soon find themselves at Gaddafi’s front door. 

Listen for it; this will mark the beginning of the end of the dictatorship.

Anyone can follow the movement on Twitter under #Libya and I challenge you all; be the Libyan beacon for your social group.

Read enough to pick out the truth from the propaganda.

Everyone should be a journalist.

The more people who are up to date, the more power any movement can have.

These simple global conversations can encourage more generals to defect, more humanitarian aid missions to begin, more nations to rise up against tyranny.

If you procrastinate online, and I know you do, take a minute to check up on our friends and see how they are doing.

By spreading news, you could save a life without even
knowing it.

If that isn’t worth your time, nothing is.

­— tdagley@indiana.edu