Tuesday, Oct. 8

No fault in deadly plane crash that injured Michigan recruit, killed parents

DETROIT — The preliminary report on the June 24 private plane crash that seriously injured Michigan basketball commitment Austin Hatch and killed his father and stepmother does not assess fault.

Released by the National Transportation and Safety Board, the conclusion of the 2-hour, 5-minute flight from Smith Field Airport in Fort Wayne, Ind., was documented in the report.

A final report will be issued at a later date.

The report says the pilot — Austin Hatch’s father, Stephen — called the Charlevoix Municipal Airport and described his approach.

The report indicated the crash occurred at approximately 7:35 p.m.

From the report: “The accident site showed that the initial ground scar, located approximately 75 feet from the main wreckage, contained the left wing tip fuel tank fairing and pitot tube. The main wreckage consisted of the fuselage, engine, empennage and both wings. The three-bladed propeller was separated from the engine crankshaft and came to rest adjacent to the main wreckage. Examination of the main wreckage showed the landing gear was extended and the flaps were retracted."

The last report on Austin’s status came Saturday on his CaringBridge website, stating, “The concern regarding brain swelling has subsided, and his condition continues to improve.” He is recovering at Munson Medical Center in Traverse City, Mich.