Saturday, Sept. 28

Indiana bands to tour the Midwest

Mike Adams can’t quite say what it is that gives husband&wife its Midwestern feel, but he’s often told the band is “definitely from the Midwest.”
He and other members of husband&wife will spread the Midwestern mood as they kick off their tour with the Fort Wayne-based instrumental band Metavari at 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Bishop. Admission for the show, which will also feature Muncie-based band State Park,
is $5.
Husband&wife guitarist and singer Adams said he looks forward to performing with Metavari.
“To me, they sort of blend just a traditional approach to writing music with technology in this cool, evolving way that is very modern,” Adams said. “But the music is as relatable as anything.”
Metavari blends their music with audio samples foraged from a number of sources, whether they’re old videos or archived footage from speeches, member Nate Utesch said.
Their live shows feature video and electronic beeps synched with the performance, which can make it seem “like manning a spaceship,” Utesch said.
“We try to be intentional about telling a story through the music without words, where you can close your eyes and picture it being a soundtrack or your own life,” Utesch said, describing their musical style as cinematic.
Metavari’s next full-length album is about halfway done and will likely be released by spring 2012, Utesch said.
Husband&wife’s sound, Adams said, has gravitated toward a more traditional approach since their last album, “Proud Flesh,”
came out.
He added that while their 2009 album, “Dark Dark Woods,” was more laid back, “Proud Flesh” was the fast, aggressive rock record the band wanted to make.
“We’ve done that now, so we’re trying to figure out what to do next,” Adams said. “(We’re) throwing out the rulebook at this point and kind of returning to
anything goes.”
Tim Felton,  guitarist and singer for husband&wife, said the indie rock group will be trying a new approach to song-writing for their next album, using all members of the band. Felton, Adams, bass player Bryant Fox and new drummer Burke Sullivan will be working collaboratively, he said.
“It’s less of a folk song approach and more of an organic band approach now that we have a consistent lineup,” Adams said.
Temporary drummer Dan Willig will join multi-instrumentalists Utesch, Ty Brinneman and Kyle Steury for the tour, as the band’s drummer, Andrew
McComas, will not travel with them. Metavari will travel with husband&wife to Canada for the first time on this tour.
“I’m excited to be the band from out of the country,” Felton said. “I think it will make us stand out.”
Felton is also excited, he said, to see what the young band State Park can do live. Utesch said he is already a huge fan of their music.
“It’s an awesome intersection for all of our worlds,” Utesch said.
Now, with new drummers and a new van for Metavari, the two bands prepare to
set off.
“The show’s going to be great,” Adams said. “I hope some people come out.”
Husband&wife and Metavari will be back in Bloomington for the 4th annual XRA Fest  from Sept. 16 to 17.