Saturday, Sept. 28

Friends of Art paint broader strokes

The Friends of Art is throwing its first ever-block party at 6 p.m. Sept. 16 in front of Pygmalion’s Art Supplies.

The organization continues to support the Grunwald Gallery of Art and IU Fine Arts students through a variety of programs and financial assistance.

“As funding for arts education dwindles, students are being less exposed to the arts in general,” said Marci Hughes, the Friends of Art Bookshop assistant director.

A part of IU since 1968, the group provides thousands of dollars in scholarships to arts students each year.

Located within the Fine Arts building, The Friends of Art Bookshop uses its profits to fund annual scholarships.

Students affiliated with the art school appreciate the in-building presence of the bookshop.

“The store hires many enthusiastic students who are always willing to help customers out,” said fine arts student and junior Kelsee Boland. “It is extremely convenient for students who spend long hours at the Fine Arts Building.”

This year, the non-profit organization is looking to increase membership, which consists of students, IU faculty and Bloomington residents.

“Our membership is very big but made up of a lot of different populations,” said Colleen McKenna, the Friends of Art Bookshop managing director. “This is a way to take them all and make them a part of the same community.”

The block party will feature music by local band Sleeping Bag, live art by IU Faculty and other exhibits.

“We are hoping this goes so well that it will be repeated for years to come,” Hughes said. “We just want to raise an awareness for the arts.”

Those wishing to become a part of the Friends of Art should submit a membership form on the group’s website.

“By providing educational opportunities for students here, I feel we are encouraging arts to continue in our world,” Hughes said.