Tuesday, Oct. 8

Golfers to compete in first ranked competition of year in Michigan

Senior co-captain Kristtini Cain said one major element makes the IU women’s golf team stand out: chemistry.

The Hoosiers will take this chemistry to the Mary Fossum Invitational on Saturday, Sept. 17 and Sunday, Sept. 18 in East Lansing, Mich.

“There’s a lot of confidence in our team now that the first tournament is under our belt,” Cain said. “As a team, we enjoy each other’s company and work well together.”

The team will enter its first ranked event with a victory at the IU Fall Kickoff, where junior Rosie Davies finished first. Davies posted an even-par 144 for the tournament. She said she hopes to lead the team again in Michigan.

“I hope to have the same mind-set coming off a really good tournament, and hopefully I’ll be in the same position after the first day,” Davies said.

IU will be among 11 teams, including Eastern Michigan, Ohio State, Toledo, Kent State and the University of Michigan, who will compete in the 54-hole stroke play event at Forest Akers West Golf Courses, a par-72 course.

IU Coach Clint Wallman said this weekend’s event will be different because the team has to put three good rounds together. The team was two strokes back of first place after the first round of the IU Fall Kickoff and came back for the win.

“We have to take advantage of the opportunities and not give a shot away,” Wallman said. “The arm of that will be our short game, putting and conversions.”