Saturday, Sept. 28

Indianapolis Jazz Foundation works with festival to educate amateur musicians

The juxtaposition of amateur and professional jazz musicians will be at the heart of this year’s Indy Jazz Fest.

The Indianapolis Jazz Foundation has collaborated with Indy Jazz Fest and The Jazz Kitchen since 2009 to educate and expand the influence of jazz music.

This year, the University of Indianapolis Jazz Ensemble was one of the seven student jazz collections chosen to perform alongside professional jazz artists at the festival in Indianapolis. The ensemble, which typically consists of music students in the UIndy Department of Music, has performed at the Jazz Kitchen, The University of Louisville Jazz Festival and The Elmhurst College Jazz Festival.

“I think it’s a great thing for the students, so it’ll be a meaningful performance for them,” UIndy jazz professor Harry Miedema said. “They’re all excited to be on stage.”
The ensemble will play at 2:40 p.m. Sept. 17 at Opti-Park in Broad Ripple. All student groups perform at the Emerging Jazz Artist Stage, one of three stages set up for the festival.

“My strategy is to teach the kids how to swing and to make the music feel good rhythmically,” Miedemasaid. “If we can do that, then the notes are going to sound good.”

The group’s performance will cap a week-long series of performances and events within the festival known as the Sunset Series. The series fulfills the festival’s goal to educate through jazz performance.

“Indy Jazz Fest and its education partner, the Indianapolis Jazz Foundation, are dedicated to preserving the rich jazz legacy of Indianapolis, educating future jazz musicians and entertaining the city of Indianapolis with the best in local, national and international jazz talent,” Al Hall, the festival finance director, said in a press release.

Tickets for the remaining events can be purchased from the festival’s presenting sponsor, Marsh Supermarkets, for the rest of the week. More information is available at indyjazzfest.net.

“It’s important for students to be a part of this experience,” Jazz Kitchen owner David Allee said. “It allows them to perform in front of a larger audience, which will help their music knowledge grow.”

— Derrick Naylor