Tuesday, Oct. 8

sports volleyball

Leach ready for homecoming

Volleyball

A road trip to take on the No. 1-ranked team in the nation would come with pressure for any freshman, but for IU’s Morgan Leach, the Oct. 30 trip to Champaign, Ill. to play the Fighting Illini will be an emotional experience.

Leach, who lived in Champaign before attending IU, will be playing in her hometown for the first time since high school.

The IDS sat down with Leach to talk about her journey from Champaign to IU and what it will be like playing in front of her old “home crowd” as a Hoosier.

IDS:
  How have the first few weeks of being an IU volleyball player gone?

Leach: It’s felt really good. I’m finally getting into the swing of things, and I’ve been pretty good adapting as a freshman. Everyone is really welcoming, so it’s been good.

IDS: What first drew you to play at IU?

Leach: I really liked all the teammates. They were really welcoming. They all knew my name from the beginning, and they were hugging me. Everyone was really personable and actually cared about getting to know you. Also, building up the program (drew me in) not to just come into a program that was already good but instead helping to build something new.

IDS: Did you follow Fighting Illini volleyball growing up?

Leach:
Yeah, I did. I went to some games, and that’s when I knew that I wanted to play in the Big Ten. I saw how competitive it was, and I wanted to, at some point, maybe get into it and now I did.

IDS:
Take us through the recruiting process. Was there interest from other Big Ten schools?

Leach: My freshman year, I was kind of lanky, and I didn’t even know that I was going to be able to play in college. Sophomore year, I started to get some looks, but then junior year was the year that I really decided that I wanted to play in the Big Ten. I looked at a couple schools and took a couple visits to schools like Northwestern, Illinois, Michigan and Indiana. Those were the big four, and then I decided IU.

IDS: Was there any pressure for you to stay home and go to the University of Illinois?

Leach: I did visit there, but I kind of wanted to get away from home. This was a good in-between because it wasn’t too far if I wanted to go home on the weekends. I think I wanted to get away. I’ve been in Champaign my whole life, so I already know it. I wanted to still be close because I have a little sister who is three, and I wanted to still be able to see her.

IDS: Will you have family or friends at the game against No. 1 Illinois?

Leach: A bunch of my family is coming, and my high school team is coming, so I am very excited to see everyone. A lot of my friends will be coming back for it.

IDS: What will it be like playing at “home” for the first time as a Hoosier?

Leach: I think it will be a little different. It will be kind of weird because I am used to going to games at Huff (Hall). I’ve been there so many times, but I’m excited to get there and play.