Saturday, Sept. 28

Lotus goes live Friday with art, music, culture

Strange Fruit

Chicago has Lollapalooza, Indio  has Coachella and Bloomington has Lotus.

While the Lotus World Music & Arts Festival may not rival these competitors in size, the central Indiana town booms for one weekend in September as music fans migrate here every year from local, national and international locations to experience world music.

“A lot of music festivals that start small and grow big lose that sense of community, but we still have it, in large degree because what makes Bloomington good helps make Lotus good,” said Lee Williams, executive director of the Lotus Education & Arts Foundation.

Lotus runs from Thursday, Sept. 22 to Sunday, Sept. 25 and kicked off with an evening performance by Grammy award-winning singer Mavis Staples.

“There is a great feeling in a small venue, with the closeness of the people and the intimacy,” Staples said in an interview with Pitchfork. “Those are the best. You just feel the whole scene better.”

Early this year, Staples won the Best Americana Album at the Grammys for her album, “You Are Not Alone.” Jeff Tweedy of Wilco produced the critically acclaimed soul gospel album.

“The whole idea of going to Lotus is kind of a voyage of discovery.” Williams said.
Most of the music for Lotus will be performed during the evening showcases from 7 p.m. to midnight on Friday and Saturday in downtown Bloomington.

Besides Staples, Williams said he looks forward to seeing performances by Bomba Estéreo — a Colombian electro band — and Movits!, described as a “rapping, swinging Swede group.”

After seeing Movits! deliver a memorable performance on The Colbert Report two years ago, Williams booked the band.

“It was really obvious that I was sort of falling in love with what they were doing, even though I don’t speak Swedish,” Williams said.

Although many come to Lotus for the music, Williams said others enjoy the various visual spectacles of the festival.

On Sixth Street, festivalgoers can explore the chalk art of the Lotus Arts Village for free.

From noon to 5 p.m. Saturday at Third Street Park, “Lotus in the Park” will feature musical performances, workshops and an arts camp for children.

A new visual performance from Australia’s Strange Fruit will be Saturday. The dance troupe balances in the air on long poles, delivering an acrobatic show that promises to leave viewers in wonder.

Fresh acts like Strange Fruit bring a different experience from previous years, but the weekend will still have its traditional myriad musical performances.

“It’s one of those things where you just have to go and experience it to see the energy on the street and the joy on people’s faces.” Williams said.