Saturday, Sept. 28

Straight No Chaser ready to audition new talent

The last time IU saw Straight No Chaser was during the 15th Anniversary Concert at the IU Auditorium.

The group celebrated with an enthusiastic crowd, singing with Straight No Chaser alumni to friends and family.

It had plenty to celebrate: one of the tracks on the then-new EP was selected for “Voices Only,” a compilation album of the best songs in collegiate a cappella. The singers had the opportunity to share the stage with Atlantic Record’s Straight No Chaser, the original group responsible for taking the Straight No Chaser name worldwide.

And as an IU tradition and favorite since 1996, they are back to have an even better season.

Straight No Chaser, IU’s all-male a cappella group, is having auditions at 8 p.m. Sept. 15 and 16 in the Music Annex. Those who audition will be asked to perform a verse and chorus of a pop or R&B song of their choice without accompaniment.
Call-backs will be at 1 p.m. Sept. 17.

The group lost a few seniors to graduation, but the group’s music director, senior TJ Breen, said he does not know how many of those spots will be filled.  

“The group generally likes to have 10 members,” Breen explained. “We have ranged anywhere from 7 to 12 members throughout the group’s history. Right now, we are at 8. We could take three or we can take zero. It all depends on the guys who audition.”

The audition process is not solely based on performance. During call-backs, the group spends about 20 minutes with each man in order to get a feel for who he is and why he is auditioning.

“This is important, because we are essentially a family and spend hours upon hours with each other, so it’s crucial that we all get along,” Breen said.

After spending time with each potential new member, the current group brings them all together and teaches them a song. When they see how fast the singers can pick up the song and blend in with the rest of the group, the current members
deliberate.

“The members of the group are the only votes that count when determining this. It has to be a universal decision between all the members of the group for someone to be picked,” Breen said.

Freshman Michael Felish said he is up to the challenge.

“Straight No Chaser was part of the reason I wanted to attend Indiana University,” Felish said. “The group consists of not only great singers but great performers. They are an elite college a cappella group that I would feel honored to be a part of.”
Felish was involved in his high school’s a cappella group and plans on performing a past solo for his audition.

Felish said he is also dedicating his audition to his grandfather, who passed away a week before Felish left for Bloomington.

“He sang for me all the time when I was young,” Felish said. “Now, I will be singing for him.”

Junior Katie Sutton, a self-proclaimed loyal fan and close friend of the group, said she is excited for the upcoming Straight No Chaser season.  

“Not only are the guys extremely talented, they also have great chemistry with their audience,” Sutton said. “It’s not just about singing. Their concerts are always entertaining because of how they interact and engage their audience.”

Other than aiming to be the best a cappella group in the country, assistant music director and senior Andrew Morstein said the group is planning new things for this upcoming season.

“This season is a big one for us,” Morstein said. “We are going to put out another album, we will have a really seasoned core of singers, we have new repertoire that we’re pumped to debut and we have a lot of big shows we are looking forward to performing at.”

He said some destinations include Texas and Seattle.

“We aim to sing with style every year, and we’re looking forward to showing off the new guys we take after these auditions,” he said.