Saturday, Sept. 28

Two nights full of local tunes

XRA-Fest began in much the same way as its label Crossroads of America
Records — friends helped friends and produced good music together.

This weekend the annual XRA-Fest returns to Bloomington for its fourth year. What started as a low-key barbecue is now a full-blown, two-day music festival.

The barbecue aspect has been kept alive as a way for the label’s musicians to reunite with each other, organizer Tim Felton said.

Bryant Fox of Alexander the Great described XRA-Fest as a community of people who care about music and want to share it.

“XRA-Fest is usually sold out,” Fox said. “It’s a really good time.”

Metavari, Bro. Stephen and husband&wife will play Friday at Russian Recording. Frank Schweikhardt, Black Cat, Rodeo Ruby Love, Sleeping Bag and Alexander the Great will perform Saturday at the Bishop. Doors open at 8 p.m. both nights.

Frank Schweikhardt and his eponymous band have performed at XRA-Fest since its inception.

“It’s my favorite holiday of the year,” Schweikhardt said.

The music festival has grown in number of attendees and excitement since it began, he said. Friends travel from afar to reunite and celebrate.

“It’s centered on music, but it’s about more — our relationships with people,” Schweikhardt said.

Like Schweikhardt, Scott Kirkpatrick of Bro. Stephen has played at every XRA-Fest to date. This year, his band will perform four songs live for the first time. These songs had been recorded for XRA’s exclusive Laminar Excursion CD series.

“For my musical style, they’re all just personal, reflective songs for the most part,” Kirkpatrick said. “Stylistically, it changes a lot.”

Bro. Stephen has a record to be released Nov. 8 and a full-length album, “Baptist Girls,” coming out Jan. 25.

As old and new bands come together, Alexander the Great will perform for the last time.

Since its beginnings six years ago, Fox said, everyone in the band is at a different place and ready to move on.

“It’s going to be a big blow-out celebration,” Fox said. 

Tickets can be purchased in advance at Landlocked Music, 202 N. Walnut St., for $8, which covers both nights. They can also be picked up at the door for $5 each night.
While this will be her first XRA-Fest, sophomore Erika Fisher has attended Rodeo Ruby Love’s shows since her sophomore year of high school.

“Their music is very upbeat, and they have a variety of instruments like the marimba and trumpet,” Fisher said. “Every show is different. I’m really excited to go.”

For the first time this year, XRA-Fest will also include live band karaoke at the free after-party, which will begin at 11:30 p.m. Friday at the Bishop. Felton said he’s heard much excitement about it.

“One of my favorite things is when people new to XRA-Fest come away feeling that this is a really positive label,” Felton said.