Saturday, Sept. 28

Big band brings swing

Swing

Friday was their first time at the Arthur Murray Dance Studio, but Pat and Mike Gleeson have loved dancing since their wedding night 44 years ago.

The studio had the Stardusters Swing Band’s “Let’s Dance” party Friday, and the Gleesons attended as part of their dancing routine.

“When we were first married, we discovered what fun it is to dance,” said Mike Gleeson. “It’s just a blast.”

The Gleesons said they go dancing at least twice each month.

For them, dancing is more than just a hobby; it’s a family tradition.

“My parents used to go to a dance club,” said Pat Gleeson. “We dance, and all four of our children dance.”

As the pair moved around the dark wood dance floor, they swayed in motion with the big band music played by the Stardusters Swing Band.

The Bloomington-based band used to play a monthly dance party at the Waldron Arts Center but discontinued it when Ivy Tech Community College bought the center.

Barbara Leininger, owner of the Arthur Murray Dance Studio, said she sees dance change lives every day.

“For adults living in a college town, this is a great place to come and feel comfortable socializing,” Leininger said. “We’ve even had couples meet here and eventually get married.”    

Wayne Heidler, a resident of Spencer, Ind., is a testament to Leininger’s theory.  
He started dance lessons at Arthur Murray’s two years ago.

“Now I dance six days per week,” Heidler said. “I have a blast. I meet great people, and I have lost two inches around my waste.”

While Heidler danced with other students and instructors from the studio, the Gleesons watched from a round black table in the corner of the dance floor.

Here, they reminisced about the role dancing has played in their lives.

“My mother was from a family of 10,” said Pat Gleeson. “For entertainment, they used to play piano, roll up the carpet and dance on the floor. People just don’t do those things anymore. They watch movies.”

Jerry Jerome, owner of the Stardusters Swing Band, said he loves seeing people like the Gleesons truly appreciate the band’s music.

“When someone comes up to give you a compliment about the music, that’s a good feeling,” Jerome said. “We love what we do.”

Jerome said he hopes the Stardusters can reinstate their monthly dance party at the studio.    

If they do, the Gleesons will be there, staying true to Pat’s one rule about
dancing:

“I just try to not step on his toes, and he tries not to step on mine.”