Saturday, Sept. 28

Column: Poor man's pumpkin

Hurricane Irene wiped out an estimated one-third of the country’s pumpkin crop, flooding fields, breaking branches and taking some of the fill out of our pumpkin pie.
With Halloween quickly approaching, the mass rotting of Charlie Brown’s fabled “Great Pumpkin” is sure to spook jack-o’-lantern creators across the country.

“There’s been a ton of people calling from New Jersey,” said Larry Goebel, co-owner of Goebel Farms in Evansville, Ind., in an interview with the Associated Press. “We can sell every pumpkin we want to sell.”

According to the farm’s website, Goebel Farms is “the tri-state’s largest selection of fall decorating and pie-making needs” and offers consumers 78 varieties of pumpkins and gourds. 

Goebel said he believes he will have “an ample supply of product” to meet consumers’ needs.

But with customers from across the nation and not just the Crossroads of America, it’s hard to say whether Goebel’s optimism will be enough to appease those hoping to participate in festive carving and pies.

So, will students be able to afford pumpkins this year?

According to most Northeast farmers, pumpkins have nearly doubled in price.

Many IU students could be left without their favorite gourds this year, especially with the tuition increase.

Porches typically filled with orange orbs might be vacant.

Students could be saying goodbye to pumpkin carving, at least for this year.

But there is another way.

Irene may blow, pumpkins may rot, but Halloween isn’t ruined.

An alternative, albeit untraditional, option does exist: create an “Altern-O-Lantern” to celebrate this year’s holiday.

Altern-O-Lanterns are the modern consumers’ answer to the pumpkin
shortage.

Any produce can replace a pumpkin, whether it’s a watermelon, eggplant or even a red pepper; all provide a similar, scary effect. 

Tea candles add a traditional glow to these pieces. LED lights are an option for those not wary of wiring.

With the economy in shambles, tuition increasing and the threat of a lantern-less holiday burning faintly on the horizon, the Altern-O-Lantern is the answer for the budget-conscious consumer.

So, spread some fear this year, even if the weather tries to say otherwise.

­— ntepper@indiana.edu