Saturday, Sept. 28

Homecoming parade lights up Bloomington

The upcoming homecoming parade will feature a new requirement: The floats must glow.

For the first time, the parade will be at night. The light show will add to this year’s homecoming theme of RocktoberFest, directors said.

“We’re hoping everyone gets into it,” parade co-director Molly Carroll said. “It’ll be like a concert.”

The switch to a night parade was decided when a street festival was planned for that evening, and the parade was intended to work in conjunction with the
festival.

When the festival fell through, the IU Alumni Association decided to still feature a nighttime parade.

The floats will be required to glow and can use holiday lights, car flashers, glow sticks and flashlights to do so, according to IUAA’s website. Floats will also need to incorporate the RocktoberFest theme. Floats, cars, walkers, cyclists and golf carts are welcome.

“Many of the floats will probably feature rock music,” Carroll said.

Alex Welling, another co-director, said the parade usually has 40 to 45 floats. Participants include alumni and student groups, but directors have been working to get more greek residents involved this year, he said.

The parade will be at 7 p.m.  Friday. The parade will begin on Third Street, travel north on Indiana Avenue and end at the Sample Gates.

“The new aspect of lighting is going to be interesting,” Welling said. “Hopefully, people will get creative and light everything up going down the street.”