Monday, Oct. 7

Illini defeat Hoosiers, 41-20

IU vs. ILL

Following a 99-yard kickoff return from freshman Shane Wynn, IU led for the first 13 minutes of Saturday's game against Illinois. The Illini grabbed a 14-10 lead with 1:34 remaining in the first quarter and never looked back, eventually defeating IU 41-20.

IU gave time at quarterback to sophomore starter Dusty Kiel and true freshman Tre Roberson. Roberson led a late touchdown drive that brought the Hoosiers within two scores but for the majority of the game,  the offense struggled with both under center. IU managed just 291 total yards compared to 518 from Illinois.

Illinois got on the scoreboard with a 77-yard touchdown completion from sophomore quarterback Nathan Scheelhaase to senior wide receiver A.J. Jenkins and senior Illinois defensive back Tavon Wilson returned an IU fumble 66 yards for a touchdown in the first quarter.

Scheelhaase again found Jenkins late in the second quarter for a 67-yard strike and threw his third touchdown of the first half three yards to freshman tight end Jon Davis. Scheelhaase ran for another score in the third quarter and totaled 298 total yards and three total touchdowns.

Sophomore IU kicker Mitch Ewald made both of his field goal attempts from 44 and 20 yards for the Hoosiers.

The IU defensive line played very well at times. Junior defensive tackle Adam Replogle sacked Scheelhaase twice and true freshman Bobby Richardson collected another sack, which brought IU's season sack total from two to five.