Monday, Oct. 7

Nebraska brings more competition to conference

Nebraska’s addition to the league brings uncertainty for most teams.

The uncertainty is built from the simple fact that most teams haven’t played Nebraska in recent years and are unsure of its style.

At Big Ten Basketball Media Day, men’s and women’s basketball coaches and players expressed that consensus, but most talked about how another addition to the conference brings more competition for all teams involved.

To Nebraska’s staff and players, one thing is certain: Not much is different in the level of competition within the Big 12 and Big Ten conferences.

Men’s Basketball
One main change the Nebraska team is looking for is going from an NIT team to a NCAA tournament team.

Nebraska has gone to the NIT tournament in four of the past five seasons.

Nebraska Coach Doc Sadler took over the program in 2006, and since then, the team has averaged about 18 wins per season.

“(Sadler’s) coached long enough, and he knows the drill, so I’m sure he’ll do fine,” Wisconsin Coach Bo Ryan said.

The program’s last appearance in the NCAA tournament was in 1998.

This year, the Cornhuskers were chosen to finish 11th in the conference by the 24 conference beat writers.

Nebraska finished 19-13 last year with key wins against Texas and Oklahoma State.
The Huskers are led by junior center Jorge Brian Diaz, who averaged 10.5 points and 4.4 rebounds per game last year.

Nebraska wants to be consistent and competitive in every Big Ten game.

“I hope the biggest thing that we bring is that we play hard and that it’s worth their time to watch Nebraska,” Sadler said.

Iowa Coach Fran McCaffery explained Nebraska might be underrated.

“They will step in and be a factor right away,” he said. “I don’t think there will be a learning curve like everyone thinks.”

Nebraska junior forward Brandon Ubel said the Big 12 has more “one-and-dones” compared to the Big Ten’s upperclassmen experience, and Sadler added to that thought.

“I don’t know that there is that big of a difference that I’ve seen,” he said. “I think its more of an experience league.”

Women’s Basketball

Nebraska Coach Connie Yori has helped lead the Cornhuskers to three NCAA tournament births, which included a 32-win season and Sweet 16 finish just two years ago.

However, the team finished just 13-18 last year and ended 3-13 in Big 12 conference play.

“We are going to play an up-tempo style, which is different from last year because we had a lot of injuries,” Associate Coach Sunny Smallwood said.

Last year, the Hoosiers faced the Cornhuskers in the Big 12/Big Ten challenge and came out with a 67-61 victory.

Nebraska returns its two leading scorers from last season in sophomore forward Jordan Hooper and junior guard Lindsey Moore, with 14.6 and 14.1 points per game, respectively.

Yori wasn’t in attendance for Big Ten Media Day due to her recent surgery.

“I have no idea what’s on Connie’s team, but I do wish her a speedy recovery on the surgery,” IU Coach Felisha Legette-Jack said.

Smallwood provided clarity about the team at Big Ten Media Day.

“We are so excited about this team, despite missing our coach,” she said. “They are young (and) have a lot of passion, and they love our style of play.”
The Hoosiers will face Nebraska Jan. 5, 2012, in Lincoln, Neb.