Saturday, Sept. 28

New group focuses on music industry careers

Last month, IU became the newest chapter of the Music & Entertainment Industry Student Association.

MEISA is a nonprofit organization that educates students interested in careers in the music and entertainment industries.

“The hardest part about getting into the music industry is it’s hard to get a formal education,” said senior John Parker, treasurer of the new chapter.
The group will bring professionals from different fields of the music industry to talk to members.

On Nov. 14, MEISA will bring booking agents and promoters to speak to the chapter about their jobs.

The chapter members are also talking about bringing in a networking panel of venue managers for people who are interested in venue management to learn more about the field and make connections, Jamie Phipps, sophomore and chapter president said.
The group is considering The Bishop Bar, the Bluebird Nightclub, Rhino’s Youth Media Center and other venues around Bloomington for the panel.

Another major function of the new MEISA chapter is to help students build relationships with each another.

Senior Stephanie Demar, vice president of marketing is a singer, songwriter and guitarist.

“One of the most important things for me is the networking aspect,” Demar said. “I’m hoping to make connections with people with the same career interests as me. I didn’t start to meet people in my major until junior year.”

“It’s a great networking tool for them,” Faculty Adviser Monika Herzig said about the new MEISA chapter. “We’re also trying to get them more regional unity with other chapters.”

The chapter plans to attend the national or regional MEISA conference to make connections and coordinate with chapters from different parts of the country, Parker said.

It is also fundraising for a trip to South by Southwest, a music festival in Austin, Texas, in the spring.

Many other trips and events are being discussed, as well.

“I’d like to make a networking trip to Nashville happen,” Kate Calvert, junior and vice president of event planning said. “It’s only four hours away, and there are so many valuable resources and connections down there that we should be taking advantage of.”

Among the ideas for raising money for these trips and other operations are an autograph auction and a battle of the bands in Bloomington.

The members of the MEISA Bloomington chapter are confident in the future of their organization.

“We kind of all assume the same leadership role because we’re a new chapter,” Phipps said. “We have some young leaders who will be able to take charge as we go through school.”