Monday, Oct. 7

Ohio State claims victory to end IU’s season

With an eye on the future, IU Coach Mick Lyon inserted sophomore goalkeeper Shannon Flower in the 56th minute of Ohio State’s season-preserving 3-0 win that ended the year for IU.

The Columbus, Ohio, native kept the Buckeyes off the scoreboard, making one save, but Ohio State had already established a lead.

IU entered the match with an opportunity to end Ohio State’s 2011 campaign on its Senior Day. The Buckeyes needed a win or a draw to earn a spot in the Big Ten
Tournament.

Two first-half goals by Ohio State dashed the Hoosiers’ bid to end their five-match losing streak.

The Buckeyes created 12 first-half shots, scoring when Tiffany Cameron’s shot rolled through senior goalkeeper Lindsey Campbell’s legs.

Lyon later took Campbell out of the game in favor of Flower.

“Shannon’s coming back,” Lyon said. “It’s a way to pay some respect to Lindsay. We’re proud of everything she’s done. It’s a way of honoring Campbell.”

The Hoosiers, meanwhile, created three shots in the first half.

The Buckeyes took a 2-0 lead into the half when Caitlyn Martin converted on a header in the 43rd minute.

Senior midfielder Devon Beach, who finished her career starting 75 of 76 matches, said last season’s victory against Ohio State motivated the Buckeyes.

“It’s kind of like a revenge game, knowing that we upset them last year,” she said. “I think they were on their heels knowing what we could’ve done. We could’ve beat them because we are a good team.”

Senior forward Carly Samp did not play. She had sustained an ankle sprain during training Thursday, Lyon said.

Samp said she experienced a lot of emotion going into the game.

“It was nice to be able to travel and to be with the team on my last trip, to cheer my team on,” she said.