Saturday, Sept. 28

Windfall's dancers fell at home

When walking into the Windfall Dancers building, there’s a landing of stairs where the rhythmic tapping of shoes rises from below, and a piano waltz falls from above.

Windfall has two different studios on two different floors, but it prides itself on the assembly of styles and wide-ranging age groups it accommodates.

“Age and ability are no problem,” Managing Director Amy Morwick said.

Windfall Dancers, Inc. is a nonprofit organization located in Bloomington on 1101 N. Dunn St. The history of the company dates as far back as 1978, when a modern dance collective formed under the name “Windfall Dancers.” 

In the years since, Windfall has expanded and become involved in the community. Numerous grants and donations fund the organization, and a board of directors organizes it.

“Our goal is to continue to be an integral part of Bloomington’s artistic community for years to come,” said a mission statement on its website.

The dance company offers classes in ballet, tap, Zumba, belly dancing, hip-hop and jazz for children, adults and IU students. 

While it is not directly affiliated with IU, Windfall partners and relies on the student body and the arts scene on campus and in the Bloomington area. 

The organization also offers a work-study program for students. 

“I just started here. I work and take classes as part of the work-study program,” said junior Doralyn Moulier, a psychology major and dance minor at IU who works at the studio as a receptionist.

The organization also staffs experienced teachers and each has an accomplished background in dance and other arts.

“I’ve been dancing tap now for 17 years,” Hannah Morton, a new teacher at Windfall, said.

The company has performances more than 20 times per year.  This includes two major productions, as well as other outreach performances at nursing homes, community events, libraries and parks. 

On Oct. 14, the company will have a new event called “Early Draft.”  It is a free open-mic style performance that invites feedback from the community.

Then on Nov. 3, Windfall will have its annual fundraising event. There will be performances and a silent auction, where such items as a diamond will be available.

Along with these outreach events, the company also sponsors the Literacy Project, a nonprofit education experience that connects reading curriculum with music and dance.