Monday, Oct. 7

Women's golf team plays at Northern Invitational

The 2012 women’s golf Big Ten Championship will be at the French Lick Resort — Donald Ross course this spring.

As a preview to the event, the Hoosiers will have the Lady Northern Invitational at the same course today and Tuesday.

After a three-week break, the Hoosiers are ready for a win among the 12 teams competing in the 54-hole stroke play event.

Among the teams playing the par-71 course are Illinois, Ohio State, Michigan and Wisconsin.

IU Coach Clint Wallman said after its seventh-place finish at the Mary Fossum Invitational, the team needed to work on scoring well and reassessing the golf course.
“We need to capitalize on opportunities 100 to 110 yards in,” Wallman said. “If we could use our sand-wedge or pitch-in, we still walked off with a bogey. We need to not give that extra shot.”

The lineup this week will include junior Rosie Davies, senior co-captain Kristtini Cain, junior co-captain Kate Coons, junior Pamela Burneski and freshman Elizabeth Tong. Freshman Kamryn Klawitter will represent the Hoosiers as an individual.

Davies, who had her first career victory at the IU Fall Kickoff and placed fourth at the Mary Fossum Invitational, said she looks forward to competing with players at a high level.

“I want to keep my mentality from the past tournaments, be precise and have confidence with every shot,” Davies said.

— Abby Liebenthal