Monday, Oct. 7

Wright leads IU to Windon Memorial

Just five days after defending its title at The Firestone Invitational, the IU men’s golf team will head to Skokie, Ill., to compete in the Windon Memorial.

In the Hoosiers’ last tournament, they tied with St. Mary’s for first after recording an 854 tournament total.

Senior co-captain Chase Wright led the team with a runner-up finish. Sophomore David Mills placed third.

“We hope to build from this past week’s win and continue to get better for this weekend,” Wright said.

Wright was named a Big Ten Co-Golfer of the Week for his strong play at the Hoosiers’ last event. IU Coach Mike Mayer said he is proud to see Wright’s development and improvement.

“Chase Wright is developing into one of the premier players in collegiate golf,” Meyer said. “It’s been great to see. He is capable of winning every event.”

With its first title of the season under its belt, the team will compete among 16 teams Sunday and Monday at the Evanston Golf Club. As of Oct. 10, the IU men’s golf team is ranked 38th in the Golfweek/Sagarin rankings and will face No. 4 Arkansas, as well as No. 17 UCLA.

Although senior co-captain David Erdy did not play in The Firestone Invitational due to medical reasons, he will return to the lineup to join Wright and Mills. The par-70 course will be a challenge for the Hoosiers, since the tournament is not at the same venue as last year, where they tied for fifth.

“Evanston Golf Club is a classic Chicago club with tree-lined fairways and fast greens,” Mayer said. “The golf course is not overly long, but it will be demanding off the tee. Being in the right positions, both off the tee and around the greens, will determine who will be successful.”