Saturday, Sept. 28

Focus on Fashion

Being collected in the cold

Now that October is gone, winter is coming.

The next few months are going to be full of biting winds, red noses, lumpy jackets and serious debates on the merits of skipping class because of the cold.

No one really likes to be cold. It makes you shiver, chafes at the skin and is just uncomfortable.

People should start preparing their closets before the weather gets nasty.
Unlike other seasons, it is more difficult to combat the cold by altering clothes you already have.

So, a good idea for any college student is to start looking for coats, boots and sweaters for layering.

I have two coats that I use for the upcoming months. One is a pea coat that I use for chilly days, and some of the first biting cold days.  The other is a thick coat with no shape, but is it warm.

Yes, my coat is poofy and a little shapeless, but no one cares at that point in the year. You can wear your pretty shirts under the coat. Just don’t be silly and freeze for fashion.

But even more important than a good coat are suitable shoes. Boots are more than necessary in Indiana when it snows.

While sneakers are comfortable, they also have holes in them. These holes are there to let your feet have some air, but they also let in the snow and slush.

Likewise, heels make your legs longer, but they also aren’t good to walk on ice.
When selecting boots for any other season, my guidelines are comfort and style.

But when selecting boots for winter, my guidelines change a little bit. In addition to comfort and style, warmth, slide-proof and waterproof are tacked onto the list.

People think wearing socks helps keeps them warm, but they don’t help you from slipping on ice.

So things to check on boots before making your purchase: bottoms for good grip, lining for warmth and waterproofness.

People don’t normally care what you’re wearing during this upcoming season because they’re usually concerned on whether they really want to tread through the cold to get to class.

In the upcoming cold months, be prepared ahead of time so you can be comfortable all of the time.

­— samkirby@indiana.edu