Saturday, Sept. 28

How to make your porch a hot-spot hangout

Porch

While you’re dreaming up ways to style your new home, don’t forget that your outdoor space is what makes the first impression. Whether you have a yard, a porch, a deck or just a stoop, here are a few ways to enhance your outdoor space.

Light up
Lighting is key to setting any social scene. “Outdoor lighting is the easiest, quickest and usually least expensive way to transform an outdoor space,” said Kristen Lubbe, home decor writer for Apartment Therapy. String cafe lights around the perimeter of your space for a dramatic look, or zig-zag twinkle lights overhead for a dreamy effect.

Sit down
If you want people to hang out, relax and enjoy the warm weather, they’ll need somewhere to sit. Seating can be as simple as a few camping chairs or as polished as a patio furniture set or even a classic porch couch. If there is comfortable seating, it can be a great place for entertaining guests. For more tips about how to transform outdoor spaces visit www.suite101.com/content/10-balcony-design-tips-a135226.

Have a drink
Nothing says outdoor leisure like a serving tray stocked with glasses and a pitcher full of lemonade. Make a tray out of an old picture frame by attaching small handles to the ends. Source: Design Sponge, www.designspongeonline.com
Enjoy the view A little decor can go a long way outdoors. Set a few tea lights in mason jars for ambience, hang paper lanterns, paint your flower pots with wild patterns, or just pick a color theme and bring in eclectic elements that match. Source: the kitchn, www.thekitchn.com.

Add flavor
If you like to cook, take advantage of your space by growing a mini-garden. Spice it up with colorful miniature chili peppers or a small herb garden. Either one will grow well in a confined space. Source: www.suite101.com/content/10-balcony-design-tips-a13522
Bring it together Create an interesting focal point with a collection of glass bottles or seashells. It will add an element of design without being too structured. Source: Martha Stewart, www.marthastewart.com/photogallery/bright-ideas-for-lighting-up-the-party#slide_2.

Let loose
Don’t forget to have your favorite lawn games on hand. Whether it’s cornhole on the porch or croquet in the yard, your outdoor space isn’t complete without some alfresco fun. Source: Design Sponge, www.designspongeonline.com/category/outdoor.